2: member
3: member
4: member
5: member

GIMP/GL:  Tutorials | Tips | Questions | Interests | Script Requests
Recommendations:  Index | Top 10
Resources:  Python-Fu Plug-ins | Scheme-Fu Scripts | GIMP
Python:  Lessons | 🡆 Questions | Exercises
The Arts:  GIMPed | GIMPed Photos | Other | Contests | Public Domain Images | Isolated Images | Blender
Inkscape
Social:  Say Hello | Anything Goes | Shares | FCSP
Sponsored content for World Food Program

Gimp Portable (SOLVED)l

Asks Python related questions here
RJKD
Tutorial Creator
6th Place
1973 Post(s)

Gimp Portable (SOLVED)l

Post#1 by RJKD » 28 Feb 2020, 16:24

Please help I need the dummies guide to install Portable. I am reading instructions from https://digital-photography-school.com/ ... le-device/
However after downloading from https://samjcreations.blogspot.com/2020 ... -bits.html when I double click on the file the installer doesn't happen, I can open the file but then all I have is the suite in folder form in my download files?
EDIT it's 2.10.19 I was trying to get.
Last edited by RJKD on 22 Mar 2020, 16:53, edited 1 time in total.

Tom
Forum Member
23rd Place
176 Post(s)

Post#2 by Tom » 28 Feb 2020, 19:51

It looks like it's zipped.
You need to right click it and extract it where you want it to be.

rich2005
GIMP Guru
22nd Place
178 Post(s)

Post#3 by rich2005 » 29 Feb 2020, 09:48

Oh dear, two different portable Gimps.
Please help I need the dummies guide to install Portable. I am reading instructions from https://digital-photography-school.com/ ... le-device/
This describes the portable Gimp from portableapps.com This does come as a .exe file but that is not really an installer, just a more convenient zip unpacker.
However after downloading from https://samjcreations.blogspot.com/2020 ... -bits.html when I double click on the file the installer doesn't happen, I can open the file but then all I have is the suite in folder form in my download files? EDIT it's 2.10.19 I was trying to get.
The download is named Gimp-2.10.18 but is the one you require, noted as GNU Image Manipulation Program version 2.10.19

It is not an installer, it is a big 7zip archive (.7z), 328 MB. I am no Windows expert these days but it looks like Win10 can unpack a .7z and it seems that you managed that.

It is a monster, unpacks to 1.5 GB because it contains both 64 bit and 32 bit Gimp as separate entities. Depending on your Windows installation the 32 bit version might / might not work. If you are sure that you have no old/ancient 32 bit plugins that you might use, the 32 bit section can be removed and some disk space saved.

How to run it? Remember it is portable It uses a language launcher. Go to where you unpacked the 7z archive and run a launcher.
gimp-portable.jpg
gimp-portable.jpg # (114.73 KiB) Viewed 12687 times (Thumbnail | Recognize | Sq Tile | LNFI)

RJKD
Tutorial Creator
6th Place
1973 Post(s)

Post#4 by RJKD » 29 Feb 2020, 13:59

Thankyou Tom and rich, I really appreciate your help. Here's a screen-shot of what I have on USB, seems to work a treat, have I done it correctly?
Gimp_portable_screen-shot.jpg
Gimp_portable_screen-shot.jpg # (52.59 KiB) Viewed 12669 times (Thumbnail | Recognize | Sq Tile | LNFI)

Wallace
Global Moderator
13th Place
899 Post(s)

Post#5 by Wallace » 02 Mar 2020, 05:48

RJKD wrote:
29 Feb 2020, 13:59
Thankyou Tom and rich, I really appreciate your help. Here's a screen-shot of what I have on USB, seems to work a treat, have I done it correctly?
Gimp_portable_screen-shot.jpg
From the looks of the files you've shown us.
It looks like you have a successful gimp portable installation.

GIMP/GL:  Tutorials | Tips | Questions | Interests | Script Requests
Recommendations:  Index | Top 10
Resources:  Python-Fu Plug-ins | Scheme-Fu Scripts | GIMP
Python:  Lessons | 🡆 Questions | Exercises
The Arts:  GIMPed | GIMPed Photos | Other | Contests | Public Domain Images | Isolated Images | Blender
Inkscape
Social:  Say Hello | Anything Goes | Shares | FCSP

Post Reply New Topic