2: member
3: member
4: member
5: member

GIMP/GL:  Tutorials | Tips | Questions | Interests | Script Requests
Recommendations:  Index | Top 10
Resources:  🡆 Python-Fu Plug-ins | Scheme-Fu Scripts | GIMP
Python:  Lessons | Questions | Exercises
The Arts:  GIMPed | GIMPed Photos | Other | Contests | Public Domain Images | Isolated Images | Blender
Inkscape
Social:  Say Hello | Anything Goes | Shares | FCSP
Sponsored content for World Food Program

Custom Font Paths to Layers for Gimp 2.10: Release 0.05

Share your Python Fu Scripts/plug-ins for GIMP here
skinnyhouse
Script Coder
6th Place
1918 Post(s)

Custom Font Paths to Layers for Gimp 2.10: Release 0.05

Post#1 by skinnyhouse » 25 Jun 2021, 15:38

Custom_Font_Paths_To_Layers_v005.py #
(35.86 KiB) Downloaded 28 times
Download and install in your user plug-ins folder.

This release adds some new features to the plug-in.

If you are new to the wonderful world of custom paths the plug-in allows you to create character layers (i.e. custom fonts) from appropriately named paths using the brush tool (or the line tool).
Path_to_Layer.jpg
Path_to_Layer.jpg # (55.9 KiB) Viewed 733 times (Thumbnail | Recognize | Sq Tile | LNFI)

A more detailed guide to the original version (which is still relevant) can be found here:

https://gimplearn.net/viewtopic.php?f=10&t=2090

There are also a number custom font path character sets on GimpLearn for you to download and play with:

https://gimplearn.net/viewtopic.php?f=8&t=2115

The basic aim of making custom fonts with character paths is to provide a means of creating characters with a more natural, open look, such as those that use plant based images.

The filter dialog for version 0.05 with default values and the new options highlighted in red:
dialog_005_highlighted.jpg
dialog_005_highlighted.jpg # (90.29 KiB) Viewed 733 times (Thumbnail | Recognize | Sq Tile | LNFI)

The new options:

I have extended the options to emulate brush dynamics (introduced in release 0.04) to include using a random brush angle, adding a jitter range to the brush sizing and adding a jitter range to the brush spacing. These effects can be used with the brush dynamics options instead if you prefer, but as stated in the last release, the brush dynamics track option does not work in coded form.

Make sure that you set ‘Emulate brush dynamics’ to ‘Yes’ for these effects to be used with the currently selected brush.

Some examples using an ‘arrow’ shaped brush:

Spacing set to 100 without any dynamics

Forced_Spacing100.png
Forced_Spacing100.png # (8.77 KiB) Viewed 733 times (Thumbnail | Recognize | Sq Tile | LNFI)

Track direction used:

Forced_Spacing100_TrackDirection.png
Forced_Spacing100_TrackDirection.png # (11.08 KiB) Viewed 733 times (Thumbnail | Recognize | Sq Tile | LNFI)

Size jitter used:

Forced_Spacing100_SizeJitter50.png
Forced_Spacing100_SizeJitter50.png # (18.2 KiB) Viewed 733 times (Thumbnail | Recognize | Sq Tile | LNFI)

These options can be combined to add a random element to the appearance of the characters.

The initial stroke option (requested by Krikor)

The original version of the plug-in allowed the user to stoke character paths as many times as required with the same size of brush (or with a range of brushes). This option allows the user to use different sized brushes, correctly positioned over the character path. If absolute accuracy is required ensure that the original brush/line size is a multiple of the final brush size.

The example below shows what happens when different sized strokes are used without using the initial stroke width option.

Line_Initial_Stroke_No.jpg
Line_Initial_Stroke_No.jpg # (77.25 KiB) Viewed 733 times (Thumbnail | Recognize | Sq Tile | LNFI)

The position of the character, with its three different widths (80, 40 and 20), are all fixed to the left-hand margin.

The next example shows the option turned on using the same settings:

Line_Initial_Stroke_Yes.jpg
Line_Initial_Stroke_Yes.jpg # (74.64 KiB) Viewed 733 times (Thumbnail | Recognize | Sq Tile | LNFI)

If you want to start from the very beginning again with different initial stroke sizes or without using the initial width option, use the reset option at the bottom of the filter dialog together with the initial stroke width option set to your requirements.

BrushCharacter.png
BrushCharacter.png # (191.38 KiB) Viewed 733 times (Thumbnail | Recognize | Sq Tile | LNFI)

Have fun!

Krikor
Forum Member
13th Place
869 Post(s)

Post#2 by Krikor » 25 Jun 2021, 18:25

Skinnyhouse, congratulations on creating another great and useful tool!

I just updated the version and am playing with the new functions. The initial impression has been excellent!
But there's still a lot to tweak!
CFpaths005trial.png
Krikor - CFPath v0.05 little tweaks
CFpaths005trial.png # (747.75 KiB) Viewed 729 times (Thumbnail | Recognize | Sq Tile | LNFI)
Thx a lot!

BTW, I hope this custom font (last post - letter C) is shared too, really cute!
"I feel that in both art and music, it's not the success that matters but the pleasure it gives you. Focus on the pleasure and the learning will come naturally." - Brian Weston

Issabella
Script Tester
3rd Place
3425 Post(s)

Post#3 by Issabella » 28 Jun 2021, 05:34

Thanks Skinnyhouse for your new detailed version of this tool. I see it great in its possibilities.
I'll practice it. You have done such a revolution and innovation to Custom Fonts. I remember when we had to build the fonts manually each character keeping position, kerning, design etc. What hard job! Now you have done it can be done at once. Thanks indeed. :gimp_learn_olympic_medal: :yay_yay_purple:
Issabella

Don’t be afraid to start over. It’s a new chance to rebuild what you want.

skinnyhouse
Script Coder
6th Place
1918 Post(s)

Post#4 by skinnyhouse » 04 Jul 2021, 07:05

The recent experimental version adds stroke tapering - emulating dynamics size tracking - to add interest - although it can cause unwanted effects to certain characters like 'O' where the start and end point are in the same position. There are ways around this of course.

Examples below all stroked with a white, round paintbrush:
Tapered_example.jpg
Tapered_example.jpg # (20.62 KiB) Viewed 622 times (Thumbnail | Recognize | Sq Tile | LNFI)

skinnyhouse
Script Coder
6th Place
1918 Post(s)

Post#5 by skinnyhouse » 06 Jul 2021, 08:39

So it's back to where I started...

Using an italic shaped nib (brush) with very close spacing will produce a style siimilar to the letter shape that I originally used when I first started coding with text along a path over on GimpChat...

round brush style:
Kerning_RoundStroke.jpg
Kerning_RoundStroke.jpg # (25.47 KiB) Viewed 601 times (Thumbnail | Recognize | Sq Tile | LNFI)
Italic brush style:
Kerning_ItalicStroke.jpg
Kerning_ItalicStroke.jpg # (24.8 KiB) Viewed 601 times (Thumbnail | Recognize | Sq Tile | LNFI)

Krikor
Forum Member
13th Place
869 Post(s)

Post#6 by Krikor » 06 Jul 2021, 15:01

The result is interesting!
I don't know exactly what an "italic shaped nib (brush)" would be, but it seems to have generated something in 3D, with some depth.

Skinnyhouse, it's amazing what you can produce! :gimp_clap:
"I feel that in both art and music, it's not the success that matters but the pleasure it gives you. Focus on the pleasure and the learning will come naturally." - Brian Weston

skinnyhouse
Script Coder
6th Place
1918 Post(s)

Post#7 by skinnyhouse » 09 Jul 2021, 11:46

Thank you Krikor...

Found a bug that crops characters when using dynamics emulation with old style two part paths.

Temporary fix - convert the two paths into one when using dynamics features.

Example - not my favourite font but a fairly good extreme example...
Clematis.jpg
Clematis.jpg # (41.64 KiB) Viewed 552 times (Thumbnail | Recognize | Sq Tile | LNFI)

GIMP/GL:  Tutorials | Tips | Questions | Interests | Script Requests
Recommendations:  Index | Top 10
Resources:  🡆 Python-Fu Plug-ins | Scheme-Fu Scripts | GIMP
Python:  Lessons | Questions | Exercises
The Arts:  GIMPed | GIMPed Photos | Other | Contests | Public Domain Images | Isolated Images | Blender
Inkscape
Social:  Say Hello | Anything Goes | Shares | FCSP

Post Reply New Topic