2: member
3: member
4: member
5: member

GIMP/GL:  Tutorials | 🡆 Tips | Questions | Interests | Script Requests
Recommendations:  Index | Top 10
Resources:  Python-Fu Plug-ins | Scheme-Fu Scripts | GIMP
Python:  Lessons | Questions | Exercises
The Arts:  GIMPed | GIMPed Photos | Other | Contests | Public Domain Images | Isolated Images | Blender
Inkscape
Social:  Say Hello | Anything Goes | Shares | FCSP
Sponsored content for World Food Program

Absolute beginners (Tips)

RJKD
Tutorial Creator
6th Place
1973 Post(s)

Re: Absolute beginners (Tips)

Post#31 by RJKD » 20 May 2018, 11:13

Great find Redraw, makes a good reference point, thankyou.

gnerd
Forum Member
9th Place
1629 Post(s)

Post#32 by gnerd » 20 May 2018, 14:41

I agree with RJKD wonderful reference and a better understanding of filters!! Thank you for sharing!

RJKD
Tutorial Creator
6th Place
1973 Post(s)

Post#33 by RJKD » 12 Dec 2018, 12:34

I hadn't previously updated my Gimp as I was always to frightened of 'getting it wrong' (tech dummy), so I looked at http://gimpchat.com/viewtopic.php?f=7&t ... p&start=30
a post by Pocholo; "I have Windows 10 and the way I do it is, I uninstall the old version first. When you uninstall Gimp, the only thing that will uninstall will be program on your C drive Gimp 2. The directory on you personal Gimp folder your PC: C:\Users\Pocholo\AppData\Roaming\GIMP\2.10 will stay. DO NOT DELETE THIS FOLDER. You need this folder because you don't want to loose your preferences, (brushes, gradients, patterns, plugins, scripts...etc. Once you Install a new version, this new version will take over your Preferences and you will have everything you place in your preferences."
I followed these instructions and updated from 2.10.6 to 2.10.8, all plug-ins, brushes, patterns etc in place just dandy :thumbsup:
NB; this for Windows users, i don't know about other OS.

Mapsking
Forum Member
27th Place
76 Post(s)

Post#34 by Mapsking » 22 Jan 2019, 06:54

Steve Reid wrote:
23 Jul 2017, 16:18
A good idea to keep all the tips in one thread RJKD, one that for me makes things a little easier is the small icon at the extreme top right in the image below, when clicked the image is enlarged to fill the screen

screenshot.png
I never noticed this before either. Thanks! The keyboard shortcut is CTRL+SHIFT+J, which is what I always use, btw.

Mapsking
Forum Member
27th Place
76 Post(s)

Post#35 by Mapsking » 22 Jan 2019, 06:59

Pat625 wrote:
23 Jul 2017, 22:27
When you save a .xcf, all the layers and paths you have made are kept. This is good if you have done a project that you might use again. Also you can play with the layers and alter the images any way you wish. You just go to File/Open. Choose your directory for saved files and press Open.
An .xcf file is like the whole project, as opposed to an individual image. One note about this is if you set up guides, the .xcf file will keep them intact, which can be really handy if you are working on different projects.

Mapsking
Forum Member
27th Place
76 Post(s)

Post#36 by Mapsking » 22 Jan 2019, 07:01

RJKD wrote:
27 Jul 2017, 16:37
Remember, with Gimp there are very often more than one way to achieve things. "Where did my tool options go? grrrrr"
Dockable_dialogues1.jpg
Dockable_dialogues2.jpg
Dockable_dialogues3.jpg
Dockable_dialogues4.jpg
Dockable_dialogues5.jpg
Dockable_dialogues6.jpg
Dockable_dialogues.zip
One thing related to this, in both single and multi-windowed modes, if you want to temporarily hide the dockable dialogs, just hit TAB, and it will toggle them on and off. When I first learned this, I had accidentally hit TAB, and suddenly everything disappeared. Don't reinstall GIMP like I did, just hit TAB to get them all back! :hammer_head:

Mapsking
Forum Member
27th Place
76 Post(s)

Post#37 by Mapsking » 22 Jan 2019, 07:03

One useful tips for beginners is to always, always, always make a duplicate layer of what you are working on, and personally, I always work on the copy. If all goes well, you can simply remove the layer later, but it is better to have it than to make 100 small edits, and realize you can't undo something.

Mapsking
Forum Member
27th Place
76 Post(s)

Post#38 by Mapsking » 22 Jan 2019, 07:09

Another tip I find very useful for repetitive tasks, like applying the same filter or effect to multiple images or selections, is using two keyboard shortcuts. Previously, I had taken a screenshot, or written down the exact settings, then if I had 10 images, I would open the image, open the filter or setting, then manually enter the information. However, simply hitting CTRL+F will automatically apply the last effect and the last settings to the current image or selection. Likewise, if you hit CTRL+SHIFT+F, it will automatically open the last TOOL or filter or whatever you used, and let you manually adjust the settings as you desire. This has saved me a TON of time. Hope it helps!

Mapsking
Forum Member
27th Place
76 Post(s)

Post#39 by Mapsking » 24 Jan 2019, 07:10

One thing I realized I use constantly, even though I never really thought I would, is the quick reverting of the foreground/background area under the tools. By default, the foreground is black, and the background is white. Often, I use it to get new colors, and then I need black or white, and have to open it, then move the cursor to the top or bottom corner of the color picker window. Well, if you hit "D" on your keyboard, it automatically resets the BG and FG colors to B and W, and then you can also use the shortcuts CTRL+, or CTRL+. to automatically fill a selection with the FG and BG respectively. Use them all the time, hope it helps someone!

Lenny
Guests

Post#40 by Lenny » 07 Nov 2019, 19:23

Redraw wrote:
20 May 2018, 04:07
Ever wondering what filter does what
This bloke took one photo in Alaska and put it through one by one all the filters he had that is 130 filters

Here is the link to his gimp page

https://alvinalexander.com/search/node?keys=gimp

This is the pdf in a zip for when you are offline

Gallery of Gimp Filters Examples By Alvin Alexander_com_design_gimp_catalog_filters_effects_example.zip

This same person has published another gallery showing many different filters in different combinations on yet another image:

https://alvinalexander.com/design/gimp- ... mples-zeus

For me, these visual examples help so much.
GIMP Learn rocks...

GIMP/GL:  Tutorials | 🡆 Tips | Questions | Interests | Script Requests
Recommendations:  Index | Top 10
Resources:  Python-Fu Plug-ins | Scheme-Fu Scripts | GIMP
Python:  Lessons | Questions | Exercises
The Arts:  GIMPed | GIMPed Photos | Other | Contests | Public Domain Images | Isolated Images | Blender
Inkscape
Social:  Say Hello | Anything Goes | Shares | FCSP

Post Reply New Topic