2: member
3: member
4: member
5: member

GIMP/GL:  Tutorials | Tips | Questions | Interests | Script Requests
Recommendations:  Index | Top 10
Resources:  Python-Fu Plug-ins | Scheme-Fu Scripts | 🡆 GIMP
Python:  Lessons | Questions | Exercises
The Arts:  GIMPed | GIMPed Photos | Other | Contests | Public Domain Images | Isolated Images | Blender
Inkscape
Social:  Say Hello | Anything Goes | Shares | FCSP
Sponsored content for World Food Program

Custom Path Characters

Resources used in GIMP that aren't Python Fu or Scheme Fu (files other than .py or .scm files)
skinnyhouse
Script Coder
6th Place
1918 Post(s)

Re: Custom Path Characters

Post#21 by skinnyhouse » 07 May 2020, 16:00

This looks like a promising development Tom - missed it on GC. Never compiled before so a bit daunted by the idea of doing it on Windows 10. Any more advice would be welcome.

skinnyhouse
Script Coder
6th Place
1918 Post(s)

Post#22 by skinnyhouse » 11 May 2020, 07:05

re: using the trace plug-in

I managed to get autotrace installed and to get the trace plug-in up and running but to be honest I have so far found the results to be rather disappointing. It is an amazing piece of software but for my purpose it does not help to speed up the process - even when makingmany changes to the options in the filter dialog.

Basically I find that the path generated by the trace plugin requires much more work than manual tracing for my purpose (tweaking some control points and deleting others) - and you also have to take into account the time for running the plug-in for each character. It's a shame really - I will persevere and have another try at some point.

Issabella
Script Tester
3rd Place
3425 Post(s)

Post#23 by Issabella » 11 May 2020, 08:14

Thank you so much Skinnyhouse for your investigation and time invested in the project. But think so much you have got so far and how many useful and helping plug-ins you have provided us to make the custom fonts to be nice and easy to get them. I remember as long it was the process.
Thanks again. :gimp_clap: :2_Thumbs:
Issabella

Don’t be afraid to start over. It’s a new chance to rebuild what you want.

skinnyhouse
Script Coder
6th Place
1918 Post(s)

Post#24 by skinnyhouse » 12 May 2020, 12:27

Carrington_Capitals_Style.xcf #
(79.27 KiB) Downloaded 95 times
Carrington_Capitals_Style.jpg
Carrington_Capitals_Style.jpg # (115.39 KiB) Viewed 5690 times (Thumbnail | Recognize | Sq Tile | LNFI)

skinnyhouse
Script Coder
6th Place
1918 Post(s)

Post#25 by skinnyhouse » 18 May 2020, 14:20

Znikomit_Style.xcf #
(138.68 KiB) Downloaded 94 times
This is a capitals only version of the Znikomit font as character paths. I have added some kernining paths but they may need tweaking if you create a fontface with different sized paths. See the layer legend for sizing details.

Example output below:
White_face.jpg
White_face.jpg # (84.77 KiB) Viewed 5565 times (Thumbnail | Recognize | Sq Tile | LNFI)

Tom
Forum Member
22nd Place
176 Post(s)

Post#26 by Tom » 19 May 2020, 17:36

FlashBack.xcf #
(455.32 KiB) Downloaded 90 times
I am stumped !
I can use Custom Font Single Path Stroker v0.2 on the xcf files I have downloaded from here but I have no luck creating one.
I used font to layers and then copied each letter and pasted it as a new image.
On the new image I ran the plugin Trace for the centerlines.
I then copied the the path and pasted it back in the font to layers.
When I run the Custom Font Single Path Stroker v0.2 I get a error.
So I tried making a transparent image the same size as the font and then pasted the paths in it, still no luck.
The same error is there though.

Traceback (most recent call last):
File "C:\Program Files\GIMP 2\lib\gimp\2.0\python/gimpfu.py", line 740, in response
dialog.res = run_script(params)
File "C:\Program Files\GIMP 2\lib\gimp\2.0\python/gimpfu.py", line 361, in run_script
return apply(function, params)
File "C:\Users\Tom\AppData\Roaming\GIMP\2.10\plug-ins\Custom_Font_Single_Path_Stroker_v_002.py", line 386, in do_stuff
pdb.gimp_image_set_active_layer(image, new_layer)
UnboundLocalError: local variable 'new_layer' referenced before assignment

skinnyhouse
Script Coder
6th Place
1918 Post(s)

Post#27 by skinnyhouse » 19 May 2020, 18:31

Hi Tom:

Sounds like you are having a rough time.

I am using Gimp 2.10.12. Gimp versions above this can cause problems with dialogs in python-fu scripts. SamJ's 2.10.18 portable works fine.

Sounds like the Single Path Stroker is not able to find a path to stroke. Any path named as a single character or a single character followed by space + char (such as 'A char') should be stroked and converted into layers with the usual custom font extension.

Here are a couple of screenshots::

The first before running the filter with two nonsense paths to show the naming convention:
TomScreen1.jpg
TomScreen1.jpg # (57.09 KiB) Viewed 5538 times (Thumbnail | Recognize | Sq Tile | LNFI)
And the second showing the output after running the filter with the default settings. Paths deleted and custom font layers in the layer stack.

TomScreen2.jpg
TomScreen2.jpg # (64.42 KiB) Viewed 5538 times (Thumbnail | Recognize | Sq Tile | LNFI)
If you are getting paths after running Trace and the paths have suitable names, what happens when you:

Edit>>Stroke Path...

from Gimp?

skinnyhouse
Script Coder
6th Place
1918 Post(s)

Post#28 by skinnyhouse » 19 May 2020, 18:41

Have downloaded flashback and the paths all end with '.png' which will reproduce the error you recieved.
Solution: Remove the '.png' from each path name and re-run the filter and everything will work as it should.

I still can't get Trace to produce a decent centre path.

skinnyhouse
Script Coder
6th Place
1918 Post(s)

Post#29 by skinnyhouse » 19 May 2020, 19:45

Yep works perfectly once '.png' removed ...
... and I have also just realised how to get centre paths. :hammer_head:

Tom
Forum Member
22nd Place
176 Post(s)

Post#30 by Tom » 19 May 2020, 21:03

Thanks skinny, that got it working !
Now back to it ... Thanks again.

GIMP/GL:  Tutorials | Tips | Questions | Interests | Script Requests
Recommendations:  Index | Top 10
Resources:  Python-Fu Plug-ins | Scheme-Fu Scripts | 🡆 GIMP
Python:  Lessons | Questions | Exercises
The Arts:  GIMPed | GIMPed Photos | Other | Contests | Public Domain Images | Isolated Images | Blender
Inkscape
Social:  Say Hello | Anything Goes | Shares | FCSP

Post Reply New Topic